Children & Youth
More Info Coming Soon . . .
Children and youth, ages three to 18 years of age, who:
- have witnessed or experienced violence
- are coping with major life changes or loss including parental separation and divorce
- have experienced sexual abuse
- suffer from suicidal behaviours, depression and/or mild to moderate mental illness
- display severe behaviour disorders (ADHAD, ODD, CD)
- are suffering from effects of trauma and anxiety . . .
are able to receive counselling and support from this program. Families or youth can request service directly, and schools, daycares, social workers, police, advocates, mental health clinicians, Victim Assistance workers, transition house staff, parent educators and family support workers can also refer children and youth for service.
In an effort to help children and youth make sense of their experience and feel as safe as possible, we offer a variety of expressive therapies including art therapy, play therapy and sand tray therapy as well as mindfulness, psycho-educational, narrative and cognitive behavioural approaches. We often work closely with the parenting program to assist parents in most effectively supporting children through difficult times and through the healing process. We offer individual counselling as well as group counselling, including at times, weekly groups at both schools in Salmo as a form of early intervention for children identified as potentially at-risk.
This program is funded by the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Children and Family Development.